Planned Parenthood Advocates of Montana
For Immediate Release: Friday, April 25, 2014
Contact: Stacey Anderson 406-442-4228
PP Advocates of Montana Calls Out Daines for Denying His Dangerous Women’s Health Agenda
[HELENA, MONTANA] — Planned Parenthood Advocates of Montana Director of Public Affairs Stacey Anderson called out Steve Daines for his attempt to deny his dangerous women’s health agenda. In an interview this week with NBC Montana, Daines claimed he does not support outlawing birth control. The truth is that Daines supports so-called “personhood” measures which, if enacted, could interfere with personal, private, medical decisions relating to birth control, access to fertility treatment, management of a miscarriage, and access to safe and legal abortion.
“Montana women won’t be fooled by Steve Daines’ attempts to deny his dangerous record on access to birth control and other reproductive health care,” said Stacey Anderson. “The truth is that Steve Daines supports legislation that could interfere in a woman’s decisions about birth control — and he believes a woman’s boss should be able to dictate her birth control access. Montana women won’t stand for Steve Daines’ attempts to impose his personal agenda on all of us. That’s why we’ll be working overtime to make sure voters know where he stands.”
In the same interview, Daines said “we don’t want to be told what our health care choices have to be, to be mandated by the federal government. We want to have the freedom to choose.”
“If Steve Daines wants to get the government out of our health care choices, perhaps he should start with himself,” Anderson continued. “He wants to outlaw abortion, even in cases of rape or incest, and has sponsored measures to cut women off from Planned Parenthood’s preventive health services. Politicians like Steve Daines have no business in personal health decisions that should be between a woman and her doctor.”
“Unlike his opponent, U.S. Senator John Walsh respects Montana women and believes that private medical decisions about birth control and safe and legal abortion should be left between a woman and her doctor, not politicians. That’s why we’re proud to support Senator Walsh in his re-election campaign for U.S. Senate.
“Montana cannot move forward while politicians like Steve Daines try to take half the population backwards. We know that Sen. Walsh will stand up against attacks on women’s health and rights and will fight for women’s access to birth control, preventive health care and reproductive rights in the U.S. Senate. This is about basic equality for women in Montana and beyond,” said Anderson.
- Daines co-sponsored the Life at Conception Act, a so-called “personhood” bill that undermines the Roe v. Wade decision and could interfere with personal, private decisions relating to birth control. [HR 1091, co-sponsored legislation 4/9/13; remained a co-sponsor as of 4/24/14]
- Daines co-sponsored legislation to spend hundreds of millions of dollars on “abstinence only” programs.
- Daines is a sponsor of controversial legislation dubbed “the most restrictive abortion bill” to come to a vote in a decade. When Daines announced his support for the legislation, it did not include exceptions for survivors of rape or incest.
- Dainesopposes abortion even in cases of rape or incest. His only exception is to save the life of the woman.
- Daines co-sponsored a bill that wouldallow the IRS to audit rape victims. The bill would permanently ban low-income women in the District of Columbia from using their Medicaid plans for abortion care, incentivize business owners to drop private insurance coverage for abortion, increase taxes on some women who choose to have an abortion and empower the IRS to conduct audits of rape survivors to ensure they’re not claiming sexual assault to evade extra taxes.
- Dainesco-sponsored legislation to block funding for contraception and preventive health care to Planned Parenthood and similar organizations.
- Dainesled an effort in Congress asking President Obama to reconsider his decision to expand access to emergency contraception, a safe and effective way to prevent unintended pregnancy when regular contraception has failed or unprotected sex has occurred.
- Dainesco-sponsored an updated version of the Blunt Amendment that would allow employers to deny their employees insurance coverage of products and services to which they are morally opposed, including birth control.
# # #
Planned Parenthood Advocates of Montana is the independent, nonpartisan, not-for-profit membership organization formed as the advocacy and political arm of Planned Parenthood of Montana. PPAMT engages in educational and electoral activity, including voter education, grassroots organizing, and legislative advocacy.